Dr. Bense graduated from the Pretoria University Medical School in South Africa back in 1970. After completing his residency in ophthalmology in 1984 at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia, he was selected to do a retina fellowship in Diseases and Surgery of the Retina and Vitreous at the University of Toronto Medical School the following year by the CNIB’S, A.E. Baker Foundation. In 1986, he became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCSC Ophthalmology), Canada.
Dr. Bense was also the Chief of Ophthalmology at the Health Sciences Complex in St. John’s, and retina consultant with privileges in all St. John’s hospitals. He was a Clinical Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at the Memorial University, was ophthalmologist to CNIB in St. John’s, sat on the executive board of the Canadian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, and was licensed to practice medicine and ophthalmology in Newfoundland and Labrador, and in South Africa. Throughout his career, Dr. Bense demonstrated a commitment to excellence in clinical research, education and patient care.
Dr. Bense married Sharon and together they have three children. His wife Sharon is the co-founder and CEO of Bense Vision. Their son, Jonathan runs Bense Optical and Optometry, he graduated with BSc (Hon) Optometry from Belfast, before becoming certified in Canada as a Doctor of Optometry in 2006. Their daughter Allison is Assistant Clinic Director at Bense Surgispa. His other daughter Christine has a Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering and is working and living in California.
Dr. Bense’s professional affiliations include:
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada
- Member of the Atlantic Provinces Ophthalmological Society (APOS)
- Member of the Canadian Ophthalmic Society
- Member of the Canadian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Member of the Newfoundland Medical Society
- Member of the Canadian Medical Association
- Member of the South African Medical and Dental Society
- Member of the International Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons