The most significant advance in presbyopia surgery in the past 100 years has been the development of the KAMRA™ Corneal Insert. We are proud to be one of the first centres in Canada to offer this incredible surgery with the AcuFocus™ presbyopia system. This system utilizes the small-aperture technology used in the KAMRA™ inlay. This is a very simple yet elegant approach to improve ones near vision whilst not affecting the distance vision in a significant way.
Using the AcuTarget Diagnostic Unit (ADU) to precisely measure the position and direction of the pupil centre and the corneal vertex (coaxial viewed light reflex) which is needed to accurately centre the corneal implant enhances the precision of the system. It automates many of the steps that were previously performed manually with a direct ophthalmoscope or the use of non-coaxial excimers. The precision of the laser allows for enhanced safety and excellent visual outcomes.
The AcuFocus KAMRA Corneal Insert® has a number of unique advantages over traditional presbyopia Surgery:
- No intraocularinvolvement
- Avoiding many of the traditional side-effects seen with LASIK and PRK
- Lower risk of infection
- Adjustable (centration) and removable
- Can be combined with other refractive surgeries or procedures
- Potential for clearer vision early postoperatively with very little adverse effect on ones distance vision
- No further adjustments needed with further aging
The AcuFocus KAMRA Insert is a revolutionary presbyopia treatment that is safe and precise. The advent of this technology has made it possible for more patients to seek treatment and obtain simultaneous clear near and far vision, including patients with astigmatism.
This technology can be applied to people who:
- Have had previous cataract surgery and now need reading glasses
- Have had previous LASIK/PRK surgery and now need reading glasses
- Simply need reading glasses at age 40 years or beyond
To learn more about the KAMRA Insert surgery in St. John’s, contact Mike Bense, EyeMD at Bense Vision to schedule a complimentary comprehensive consultation.